About Me

My photo
Beautiful North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I am Jenny Pepper, feltmaker and lover of all things fibre... I have been feltmaking for 20 years, but creating all my life in one way or another. I exhibit my felt work and sell in galleries. I also offer occasional tuition near Scarborough, North Yorkshire, UK.

Sunday, 12 July 2009

Sunday at the workshop started as warm, but dull, followed by short bursts of rain, so no drying felt in the sunshine today.
I was working with three colours of dyed Norwegian batts. There was a natural carded, which was bits of light/dark brown and white. I used this as a base as it wasn't going to be visible. I then layered the red and then the black with resists between layers. I love the way this wool felts, it is so firm. The original colours changed as the felting process took place with fibres migrating through and giving a flecked effect. The brightnes of the red was subdued by the black.


I havn't finished the piece yet as I'm adding and embellishing and need to wait for it to dry, but here is a close up of the surface which shows the very "hairy" surface of this particular Norwegian. The surface is tight and firm. I'm still working on the ongoing theme started 3 years ago but the work is evolving and changing.

Hopefully it will be dry tomorrow and I can finish working on this piece.

1 comment:

  1. The workshop sounds wonderful. I wish you good luck there. Thanks for reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete